Kelton AKA keljerel was inspired to lose 20 pounds when his doctor told him it would help reduce his acid reflux symptoms. On the advice of his mom, he started calorie counting and realized he loved healthy foods and exercise. Bypassing the first 20 pound loss, this lead to an astounding 122 pound weight loss over the past year!
1. What prompted you to begin this weight loss journey? Did you have an “Aha!” moment? I had been overweight since I was in the third grade. Through high school and college I had tried many times to lose weight by eating right and lifting weights but I never stuck with it. My “Aha!” moment was when I developed a bad case of acid reflux and my doctor told me that it would get a whole lot better if I were to drop 20 pounds.
2. What other “diets” (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past? I did not try any special products or programs. In the past I just would try to eat less and lift weights a few times a week.
3. Please describe how you reached your weight loss goal. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude? Did you implement any other strategies besides Calorie Count? What was the most important change? Well after my doctor told me that I would feel a whole lot better if I dropped 20 pounds, I was determined this time to lose weight. My mom told me about calorie counting in the past but I always ignored it. I finally listened to her (THANKS MOM) and did some searching about calorie counting. That search brought me here to Calorie Count. I was simply amazed about all of the different information I found about the (fatty) foods I used to eat and and the (healthy) foods I love to eat now. I also began lifting weights a whole lot more and grew to love working out. I loved working out so much that I did not feel right unless I worked out on that particular day.
4. Please describe how Calorie Count was instrumental to your weight loss. Counting calories with the help of Calorie Count combined with weight lifting and cardio was the key to my weight loss.
5. What difficulties did you experience losing weight? There was a time after I lost 50 pounds or so when I hit a plateau and it was hard for me to lose any more weight. I had to change my exercise routine and add a lot more cardio. I started to jog more outside which got me right back on track.
6. How long did it take you to see results? When did you realize that you were a success? Within the first two weeks I saw results after I weighed myself. I was amazed that I dropped over 10 pounds in just a two week span. I realized that I was success when I went from 300 pounds to 178 pounds. I had lost 122 pounds in a total of 11 months.
7. How do you prevent relapse? It is easy for me to prevent relapse because I have got to the point where I just simply love working out and eating healthy.
8. How has your life changed now that you’ve lost weight? My life has changed both physically and emotionally. Overall, I feel a whole lot better. I used to feel sharp pains in my arms and legs and now I no longer have those sharp pains. I also have a lot more confidence then I did in my heavier days.
9. How long have you maintained your current weight? After I got down to 178 pounds, I wanted to gain muscle so I shot up to 220 pounds so that I could gain the needed muscle. I then lost more weight until I reached my desired muscle tone. I have maintained my current weight of 200 pounds since April 2012. I normally hover anywhere between 195-205 pounds.
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
1. Eating healthy is the key. This is the most important factor to weight loss and I cannot stress this enough.
2. Only weigh yourself once a week or every other week. Weighing yourself every day can discourage you because it may seem that you are not losing weight every day.
3. Cardio is a major key to weight loss. I know men love to lift weights but I did not start to drop weight drastically until I began to jog outside. Also, jogging can be a nice change of pace if weight lifting starts to bore you.
4. Drink plenty of water and stay away from sodas! You will be amazed by how much weight you lose simply by drinking only water.
5. Stay POSITIVE. Many of my peers tried to get me down through my weight loss journey but I ignored them and kept moving forward. Now those same people are asking me for weight loss tips.