I Lost 50 Pounds: Nancy Loses Weight With The Help Of Her Sister
THE TURNING POINT: I was never bothered about my weight.
I really didn’t think that I had a problem until I went to the doctor and he said, “You need to lose weight.”
I felt afraid when I got that news that my weight was affecting my health.
I was diagnosed with hypertension and high cholesterol and I had a mother, and my mother and my aunt had both died due to hypertension-related illnesses.
So I thought, “Wow! I’m next.”
THE PLAN: My sister at the time was living in Atlanta. She is a certified fitness expert and she was the first person I thought of in terms of I have to lose weight.
She trained me over the phone long distance prior to me relocating to Atlanta. She would call and wake me up at 5:00 in the morning every morning, and would give me instructions on the steps to take that day in terms of exercise. Sometimes she would call and there was inclement weather and I didn’t feel like getting out in the rain and she was not having — excuses were not acceptable for her. Even long distance she had me intimidated.
PAYING IT FORWARD: Well, after I initially lost the 40 pounds, I eventually relocated to Atlanta and became a certified fitness instructor. So now I help people reach their goals and develop healthy lifestyles like I have done. For someone who is trying to lose weight or desire to lose weight, the first step is to take that first step. Start where you are. You don’t necessarily have to be a member of a fitness gym. You can walk in your neighborhood. You can walk up and down your stairs in your home. There are very simple exercises that you can do at home. You can pop in a DVD that you can rent from the library or from the Redbox. Start where you are. That’s the best advice I would give them. Do you.
- What was your top weight? 185 pounds
- How many pounds have you lost? 50 pounds
- How long did it take you? January 2006 to June 2006
- What was your largest clothing size and what size do you wear now? Before: Size 16. Now: Size 6
- Do you still have one or two of your largest clothing items? Size 16 jeans
- What do you do for a living? Media specialist for a local radio station
- What is your age? 45
- Do you have a website or blog? No
- What are your hobbies? Alliance Francaise, write music and play piano, certified fitness instructor, hospice volunteer, nursing home ministry, biking and hiking
- Are there any fitness devices that were important to your journey? Nike Shox shoes
- Do you have any favorite exercise DVDs? Surviving the Fitness Game by Joanna Ward (because I’m featured in it)
- Where do you work out? Kerwin B. Lee Family Life Center, Arabia Mountain Bike Trail, Stone Mountain Park
- Are there any songs that you like to listen to while working out? “We Worship You” by Israel Houghton, “Mary Mary” by Another Level
- Are there any songs that inspired you on your journey? “Another Level” by Israel Houghton
- Are there any famous quotes that motivated you? “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13, and “You have to be in it to win it.” – Joanna Ward
- What books helped you on your journey? The Bible and “Surviving the Fitness Game” by Joanna Ward
- Did you participate in any weight loss groups? Ab Masters, Radio One Atlanta Employee Fitness Challenge, DeKalb County Board of Health Fitness Challenge
TOOLS OF MY SUCCESS: A fitness coach. A goal of losing 40 pounds by age 40.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter