This Mediterranean meal prep is a fan favorite! Greek oregano and lemon juice set the tone for the fresh, well-balanced flavors of this classic Greek version of meat and potatoes. Greek cuisine is known for allowing simple, everyday ingredients like chicken, potatoes, and green beans to speak for themselves – and this meal prep delivers.
The entire meal prep provides 3 full servings of veggies and clocks in at only 395 calories. Even better, preparation is mostly hands-off, so this meal prep is quintessential Greek comfort food, minus the fuss.
Speaking of Greek of comfort food, the green beans couldn’t be more Greek! The dish is traditionally known as fasolakia and uses the classic Greek lathera method which involves cooking a seasonal vegetable in olive oil, tomatoes, and herbs. You can cook it stovetop, but using an Instant Pot pressure cooker makes this super easy and quick.
Many types of veggies work for lathera including okra, cauliflower, and green peas but green beans are the classic preparation and taste even better the following day! Greeks frequently eat fasolakia as a ‘main’ dish topped with feta cheese and meat dish on the side. Once you try it, you’ll understand why – fasolakia is hearty, wholesome, healthy – and downright delish!
Fasolakia (and any type of lathera) typically calls for a generous amount of olive oil, so if your calories can handle it, feel free to use 1 tablespoon (or more) per serving. To make up for the additional calories you can make just half a serving of the chicken and potatoes – after all, this is the Greek way! Now let’s get cooking…
This dish is traditionally made with bone-in, skin on chicken thighs, but you can substitute bone-in skinless, or even boneless skinless if you’re watching calories.
When making this meal, consider using an oven safe, dual cavity glass meal prep container so you can bake the chicken and potatoes directly in the container, and just add the beans when they’re done cooking.
Although the green beans can be cooked stovetop, an Instant Pot/pressure cooker will cook them much faster and requires no attention from you allotting time to prep another dish while the beans are cooking.
Use a good quality olive oil – Greeks wouldn’t have it any other way!
Fresh or canned tomatoes work equally well for the fasolakia. If using canned, aim for San Marzano DOP. They tend to taste less acidic
Meal Prep Recipe – Greek Lemon Oregano Chicken and Potatoes with Green Beans
This classic Mediterranean meal prep recipe for Greek chicken makes for perfect “meat and potatoes” comfort food!
- 4 oz boneless skinless chicken thigh (or 5 oz. bone-in, skin on thigh)
- 3 oz potato, diced
- 2 tsp teaspoons dried oregano (or 2 tablespoons of fresh oregano)
- 1/2 tsp Greek seasoning
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 oz fresh green beans
- 3 oz diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1.5 oz chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp Greek seasoning
- 3 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Rub with 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon of Greek seasoning then lightly spray with olive oil (1 spray).
- Add the diced potatoes to a bowl with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon of Greek seasoning. Mix until potatoes are evenly coated then transfer to an oven-safe container and arrange in a single layer.
- Place chicken on top of the potatoes, drizzle the remaining lemon juice on top and add enough hot water to the corner of the dish so the potatoes are covered half way.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit before lowering to 320 degrees Fahrenheit for the last 45 minutes of cook time.
- Press ‘Sautee’ on your Instant Pot.
- Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil along with the onion and garlic.
- Stir for a few moments before adding the tomatoes, green beans, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of Greek seasoning. Stir to mix well.
- Press ‘Off’ then set to manual for 12 minutes. Place lid on top.
- When the timer sounds, use the quick release valve before transferring green beans to the glass meal prep container.
YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- Cutting board
- Oven safe container large enough to hold chicken AND potatoes
- Instant Pot/pressure cooker
- Mixing bowl
- Food safe spray bottle with olive oil or olive oil spray