I have always been big from the day I was born lol. There were times when I wasn’t obese, but I was still a big girl.
NAME : Kristin
BEFORE WEIGHT : 270
AFTER WEIGHT : 180
POUNDS LOST : 90
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE? My weight played a huge role in my life. I wouldn’t go out on dates or buy cute clothes because I was always waiting for the day when I lost the weight. It’s like I was always waiting to live my life to the fullest. I didn’t enjoy being in big crowds or going out because I was always worried about being the biggest girl there or if I’d be put in an embarrassing situation like not fitting in a booth or not being able to keep up with my friends.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY? One day I was sitting in the living room and my dad pulled me to the side and said “man Krissy you’re getting big you need to slow down”. I didn’t take it to hard because he is big too so I just brushed it off like “whatever” but I realized something that day when I really thought about it I weighed more than my dad, brother , and most men in my family, and that was so crazy/sad to me. After that I looked in the mirror & decided today is the day! I got on the scale and seen 270lbs and thought “wow you got work to do girl”!
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED? The first thing I did was weigh myself and take my measurements. I wasn’t really surprised by any of it because I knew my eating was out of control lol. I also got a journal to write down everything I ate and the calories I was consuming. Youtube became my best friend I would look up healthy meals and try new recipes. I went to Ross and bought a exercising ball, weights, and some workout clothes. I was so inspired, I just knew this was the start of something great!
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS? I didn’t see results until the 5 month mark. I was 270lbs so 5, 10, even 15 pounds made no difference to me but after losing that first 50lbs I started to notice everything! My face was slimmer my clothes fit loose people around me started asking what I was doing to lose the weight. I’m still on a weight loss journey but now being 180lbs if I lose 5lbs people notice right away and I can see a difference as well.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART? Everything in my weight loss journey was going good until January 2020. I hurt my back and pinched a nerve which made my toes go numb, in February I twisted my ankle and couldn’t workout for a month, then my uncle unexpectedly passed away and I didn’t not want to sit in my thoughts while working out and be sad or crying so I took the time I needed to recover and grieve. I just started working out again in June and I feel amazing it really is my therapy.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING? I never wanted to give up because I didn’t want to go back to where I was. I struggled staying on track from time to time but I took a week of got my mind right and got right back to it!
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM? I feel like I am in a weight loss plateau right now I’m stuck in the 180s but I plan on cleaning up my eating and working out for 6 days a week along with intermittent Fasting of course.
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT? I lost the majority of the weight in 8 months. I’m still working on my last 40 pounds and toning up my body.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES? A non-scale victory for me was fitting into a size 12 pair of jeans! I been a size 18 to 22 for as long as I could remember so I’m guessing as a teenager I just jet past sizes 13, 14, and 15 lol.
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? I was a bored eater. I just ate because it was something to do. I didn’t realize I was also an emotional eater, I ate when I was happy or excited and I ate when I was sad or mad, so basically I ate for everything reason you can think of lol my story isn’t a sad story I honestly enjoyed eating and I was happy but it wasn’t healthy and that’s why I decided to change it.
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? When I was heavier I literally just sat on the couch and watched tv. I had no physical activity in my day whatsoever. Now I have to exercise at least a hour a day, it just makes me feel so happy and healthy it truly is my “getaway hour” I love to let my mind wonder while I workout, I think about my goals and plans for the future and how I will look in certain clothes I always wanted to wear lol and by the time I know it my hour is done and my workout is complete.
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Get a journal. Write down your goals be specific and have a real conversation with yourself write down reasons on why you want to get healthy and lose weight write down how you truly feel now and how you will feel at your goal weight or size. This helps when you lose your motivation you can always go back and read why you started this in the first place.
- Take lots of pictures and measurements because you won’t always see the number on the scale move but pictures don’t lie.
- Enjoy your journey go buy cute workout clothes or a pretty water bottle do whatever you can to make you feel good during the present time because your journey isn’t a punishment it’s something to be celebrated, you’re changing your life for the better you deserve it!
- Don’t compare yourself to anybody else. Everyone’s journey is different. We can all learn from each other but we will never be one another. You’re journey is specific to you go at your own pace but remember to push yourself everyday to reach your goals!
- Try to surround yourself with people who inspire you. Follow people on Instagram or subscribe to people on YouTube who motivate you! That way when or if you ever feel discouraged you can look to them for inspiration.