Men Before And After Weight Loss: Eddie Sheds 65 Pounds With Exercise And A Healthy Diet
- Former weight: 290 pounds
- Current weight: 225 pounds
- Pounds lost: 65 pounds
- Height: 6 feet 1 inch
- How long he’s kept it off: He started his weight loss journey in November 2007 and plans to lose 25 more pounds.
- Personal life: Powell works as a lineman for Fairburn Utilities. He and his wife of 12 years, Jennifer (Success Story March 4, 2009), have two children and live in Douglasville.
- Turning point: “After seeing my wife lose weight, [I was inspired] that if she could I could too,” says Powell. “I had slowly put on weight from just everyday life. After coming home from work, who has the energy or time to exercise?”
- Diet plan: A typical day includes boiled eggs with toast for breakfast, peanut butter sandwich for lunch and tilapia with vegetables for dinner.
- Exercise routine: “In the beginning, I’d go to the gym at work in the mornings,” he says. He’d walk for 20-30 minutes on the treadmill followed by the StairMaster. “Now I just try to sneak in walks around the subdivision when the weather is good — anything to keep active and moving.”
- Biggest challenge: “Food. I was raised with good ol’ southern cooking,” he says. He managed this by changing the foods he was used to eating. “I guess my stomach has slowly gotten smaller.”
- How life has changed: “I was originally on blood pressure and high-cholesterol meds,” he says. When he lost the first 20 pounds, his blood pressure went to normal and today he is off all medications. “Everyone in my family is overweight and on all kinds of meds to survive. I take pride now knowing I beat my genes and changed my future. As a lineman, I have to have strength and energy to keep going — whether it’s climbing a pole or pulling an all-nighter with storm damage. I’ve noticed nothing slows me down or puts me out of breath now.”