I’ve always struggled with my weight from as young as I can remember, I was heavily bullied moving around to new schools as a kid and I formed an unhealthy relationship with my body where my body dysmorphia stemmed.
NAME : Claudia
BEFORE WEIGHT : 204
AFTER WEIGHT : 127
POUNDS LOST : 77
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE? Reaching a total of 204lbs on my small frame caused me to become severely depressed which I continued to suppress and turned to binge eating. I grew up in an extremely strict family culture so I didn’t have any friends to turn to. Food became my comfort zone.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY? I went through an extremely toxic relationship and was told continuously I wasn’t good enough. I woke up one day and saw a quote on my phone that read “instead of wishing I was the woman I wanted to be, I simply wake up and become her”. Everything clicked from their, I knew my work ethic and my worth. I knew I had the potential in my heart to make the change and take severe control of my life to live the way I’ve always dreamed of —being comfortable in the skin I’m in.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED? I began researching healthy diets and best types of resistance training I started speed walking every single day for 20 minutes I would then come home and do body weight resistance exercises for an additional 15 minutes.
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS? I started my weightloss Feb 2016 and in Aug 2016 I lost 60 lbs the weight drop was significantly drastic however I was left with loose skin that’s when I continued my pursuit and started weight training to improve the composition of my body.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART? I’ve grown up on an extremely low budget, I didn’t know if I had the materials but I was so passionate that I researched for hours upon hours and found loop holes to afford healthy groceries and manage to survive on my own. I was also hospitalized for extreme GERD and refused to let it end my story.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING? I gave up a million times mentally but when I would wake up the next morning I would be ready to try again. I just wanted to be comfortable in my skin so bad that no matter how many times I believed “I really blew it this time” I refused to throw the towel in. I have fallen countless times but I always got back up plus 1. I knew I had the hunger and drive in me to persevere regardless of my current situation. I realized everyday that my life is not promised and that if I were to die tomorrow I could die content knowing I’ve been fighting for my life.
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM? I did hit weight loss plateaus which I overcame by diligently tracking my calories and allowing refeed days as well as implementation of reverse diets in between my weight loss transformation
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT? In the time span of 6 months Feb 2016-Aug 2016, I had dropped a total of 60 lbs and that was the fastest I’ve dropped the weight. The rest of my journey has revolved around reshaping my figure and minimizing my loose skin.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES? Yes my wardrobe has been excessively loose on me for the past 3 years, I am continuously buying lower sizes because the composition of my body is changing due to body recomposition. The form of my figure has changed drastically. I went from a size 18 in pants XL shirts to size 2 in pants XS in shirts.
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? I was an extremely emotional eater. Any feelings of depression I had, was drowned out in food. I’d stop at any and every drive thru and order a full meal plus dessert. I didn’t care if I was hungry or not, the food was their to comfort me and accept me.
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? Now, I do minimal cardio, I have a workout split five days each week and it’s resistance focused involving weight training to enhance my muscle mass and tighten the elasticity of my skin. It has done wonders for my figure.
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Be PATIENT find any and every micro victory in your pursuit towards weightloss and celebrate ALL of your victories no matter how big or small. You are your own biggest fan, believe in yourself and you’re halfway their! Mindset is everything!!!
- Don’t categorize foods as good or bad especially if you struggle with binge eating disorder like myself. Learn to eat a balanced diet. Aim for high protein. Focus on feeling the exact physical feeling of satiation. Chew your food. Allow the flavor to absorb into your tastebuds and enjoy each and every bite. Live a sustainable lifestyle.
- Don’t rely on the scale first. Take progress pictures from different angles. Try on clothing from your wardrobe and see what fits differently. Take pictures of your face and notice the reduction in swelling. Take note of your posture and pay attention to how it’s improving as you’re losing weight.
- Don’t compare your journey to anyone else’s. There height and weight is irrelevant. Everybody’s composition is different and our bodies will look entirely different. There’s no rush, love the stage you’re in, it’s molding you into the person you’ve been destined to be. You are unique. You are different. You offer something to the world no one else could ever imitate. Love your journey and your story. It’s going to be absolutely remarkable.
- Focus on mind to muscle connection during resistance training. Envision your body being able to move through full range of motion. Stimulate new passage ways to your pain by allowing this mindset to rewire your brain. The mind is a very, very powerful muscle. Make sure you strengthen that one as well!