My 90 Pound Weight Loss Journey with PCOS: From Struggle to Success
NAME : Amber
BEFORE WEIGHT : 246
AFTER WEIGHT : 155
POUNDS LOST : 90
WHEN DID YOU START DEVELOPING A WEIGHT PROBLEM?
I was always athletic and a happy kid. I got married at 20 in 2008 and my husband deployed one month later. My weight went out of control. Lack of proper education and laziness is the devil!!!
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE?
I lost a baby and struggled to get pregnant, was self conscious, and my weight/restrictions due to my weight affected my abilities and made my marriage very vulnerable.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
My embarrassing event was my four year old son told me I was fat. And then I realized that I wanted better for him. He and my daughter deserved more from me.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?
I began seeing a bariatric surgeon and a nutritionist for ten months!
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS?
I was sleeved on 4/27/16 initially I was a very slow loser. And then I stayed active and focused less on the scale more than how I felt.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART?
I had PCOS, a heart issue, diabetes, and was pre hypertensive which is an issue since I have one kidney.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING?
I consider giving up all the time. But then I think of how good I feel. How sexy I feel. How my habits have changed my family’s habits for the better. And I know I cannot and will not give up
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM?
I have plateaus all the time. I usually don’t let them get to me unless I am stuck for a minimum of three weeks. Then I change my meals up by adding maybe more/less chicken or fish and change my workouts up
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT?
I am still slowly loosing. My goal weight is 146 but my target is to build muscle
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES?
My biggest NSV’s was being able to wear a wedding ring again and being able to run an ENTIRE mile.
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
When I was heavy I ate anything and everything with no limitations nor discipline!!
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
I would come home and eat and go to bed before. Now I loveeeeeeeee playing paintball, shooting archery, playing football, swimming and I do tons of home renovations!!
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- My biggest tip is DO NOT DISTRACTED EAT!! Don’t watch TV while eating. Don’t play with your phone while eating. Don’t even read while eating. You eat more when you are unfocused and therefore overeat when you are already full!
- Monitor your bowl movements!!! Seriously, this one is huge for me. You can tell a lot from your bm’s. If you need more hydration, if you have a gall bladder issue, etc. Sometimes not going means you need a bit more fiber to compensate the amount of protein.
- Supplements are so critical. They make recovery way easier! Probiotics and some amino acids help immensely!!!
- Push your body to its limit…. Then keep pushing. Chances are you think you’re at your limit but you really aren’t.
- Don’t let people’s comments or nasty looks get you down. We all start somewhere. And as long as you are fighting the good fight, the rest will follow
Republished by Blog Post Promoter