72 Pounds Lost: Her “Dream” Came True When She Decided to Wake Up!
NAME : Hailey
BEFORE WEIGHT : 255
AFTER WEIGHT : 182
POUNDS LOST : 72
WHEN DID YOU START DEVELOPING A WEIGHT PROBLEM?
I have been overweight my ENTIRE life but 3rd grade was when it really started to accumulate. (That was also when I had my first diet!) I went through school up and down and up and down trying to find any way to fix it. But I could never keep it up for more than a couple months.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE?
It really wasn’t until after I lost the weight that I noticed how much it affected my life. I realized I was fearing a lot in life and always asking myself questions like… What if I don’t fit in the airplane seat?
Can I fit in that roller coaster seat?
Will I break this chair? (I’ve done it before)
Will they let me inside of this club? I’ve seen bigger girls get denied.
When will I get diabetes?
My chest hurts, is this a heart attack?
Will my harness fit if I go rock climbing?
If I go hiking with friends can I keep up?
I was so uncomfortable in my own body but I had no idea how to change.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
One weekend I broke an all time RECORD for eating junk. Pizza, popcorn, ice cream, breadsticks, wings, soda, candy AND chips. I woke up that Monday morning and felt so disgusting. I felt like I really just needed vegetables and I was tired of feeling that way.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?
I decided “just eat healthy for two weeks” I had no idea what I was doing. My first day I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch and broccoli and eggs for dinner. But I started looking online. I eventually fell in love with low carb dieting and lost 30lbs. Once I was ready for something more long term I switched to calorie counting and now I’m on weight watchers. My biggest thing was to learn as I went and find what worked for me 🙂
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS?
After a few days I felt so much better. Energy and just not as gross as I did before. After two weeks I was down 10lbs! In the first two months I lost 30lbs!
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART?
I traveled a lot for work so every time I was traveling it would throw me off a few days. I also eventually moved from Denver to South Carolina which messed up my routine for about a month. But every day I kept waking up and starting over! I knew I would rather wake up a year from now happy versus waking up with regret of stopping.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING?
I never really wanted to QUIT but I definitely had moments I hated working so hard and just wanted to eat whatever I want. The first time I ever cheated was about a month in and I ate half a box of Girl Scout cookies in one night! After, I just sat in my bed crying and feeling terrible about myself. BUT I got up, threw the cookies away and woke up the next day and started over. I had a lot of times like that but I always just started over the next day.
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM?
From July 2016 – August 2016 I was in the middle of moving and really struggled with my food. I didn’t have a great eating or working out routine and then I just felt Unsatisfied with what I was doing. I decided to switch it up and I joined weight watchers! It was such a great way to revamp my motivation and excitement for feeling good 🙂
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT?
The first 5 months I lost 50lbs which was a huge portion of it!
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES?
I went from a size 22 to a 10! I feel confident and comfortable in my own skin. I’m happier! I had a job interview a few days ago and thought “this is the first time in my life I’m interviewing for a job and not worried about my weight”. I’ve ran 3 5Ks and I’m training for a 10K. My friends have started getting healthier too!
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
Now I LOVE vegetables and fruit and eat them daily. Before I was eating probably 3,000 calories a day on junk food. I would honestly have days where I woke up and ate candy or ice cream because I just wanted it. I also had HUGE portions and ate till my food was gone vs till I was satisfied. Now I eat slowly and plan ahead! I pack tons of great healthy snacks but I also eat the fun stuff when I want it just smaller amounts 🙂
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
What physical activity before? I didn’t do anything! I have a Fitbit now and average about 15,000 steps a day… I would guess that before I was around 3,000. I never worked out, I couldn’t run, I got out of breath taking stairs. Now I go to the gym 5 days a week! I run 3X a week. I love working out! Feeling stronger and healthier! It’s such a great stress relief compared to eating food!
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Learn as you go! I really had no idea what I was doing but I just decided to start and it started happening. Ask questions, research. Take out the bad stuff that you know is bad and go from there.
- Just start! This quote came up on my running app today: “To make your dreams come true the first thing you have to do is wake up.”It made me think back to before I started my weight loss journey and was so uncomfortable and miserable with my body. I used to DREAM of waking up being smaller, feeling healthy, being active, running marathons, fitting into small jeans, feeling confident going out, everything. But I just acted like it was a dream and maybe one day it would magically happen. I had plenty of “wake up calls” doctors telling me I needed to lose weight, family telling me they were worried for my health, only plus size clothes fit me, I broke a chair at a basketball game once, I needed an extra large harness to rock climb, thoere were tons of things that happened. But I still kept waiting for this DREAM. Finally in January of 2016 I decided to WAKE UP and make it happen for myself. These past 9 months have been hard and I have had many times I fell down and messed up. But y’all…. I can see a path to all my goals. I have a plan and the motivation to make them happen and they WILL happen. So just start and they will happen!
- Find your people on Instagram! Whatever support you need find it! There are tons of groups on Facebook or look for family or friends at work. Find your support system! Share what you’re doing and get support!
- Take before and after photos! I didn’t take many photos and really regret it. The scale won’t always be accurate and having photos is such a great way to stay motivated!
- Find what works for YOU. What keeps you excited? What keeps you motivated? What makes you feel confident? Find what you like and what you’ll stick to and do it!
Republished by Blog Post Promoter