When I was 10 years old….i struggled every day from then on. Especially after having my 5 kids.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE? Being overweight impacted almost everything I did. I was self conscious which hindered me from basically doing anything. I hid behind it.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY? It was a really hot day and I could FEEL my back fat. It was seriously one of those moments where I could feel every pound on my body and I was just like, no more. This is out of control.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED? I started carb cycling which I had learned about from watching Chris & Heidi Powells show “Extreme weight loss” I would put the show on and walk on the treadmill every day for the duration of the show. And then I joined the gym. My son was going through a breakup and was struggling so I brought him along with me. We’ve been a team ever since. Hes strong where I’m weak and he motivates me every day. I am so proud of him ♡♡♡
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS? I would say about a month in I could definitely see all my efforts were actually working. My clothes were fitting looser, I just felt lighter and happier.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART? Honestly, my own mind was my biggest challenge. For a long time i just didn’t feel worthy and i would negatively self talk or sabotage myself in other ways. This has been more of an internal journey than anything else.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING? I hurt my back about 6 months in and couldnt work out for about 3 months. They were talking about back surgery and I basically was an invalid. It was extremely depressing and I definitely questioned my ability to keep trying. I took baby steps and definitely fell down a few times but im still going strong today 🙂
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM? I hit a few plateaus and probably will hit more, but that just meant I had to change something up a bit. I really just had to keep going no matter what got in my way. Having my son as myou partner really helped me to get through any struggles.
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT? It took me a year to lose most of it but I’m still on my journey now. I stopped weighing myself a few months ago and probably won’t again. I just want to be healthy and fit…the number doesn’t matter anymore.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES? Loving myself FOR REAL is definitely one. My kids following suite and becoming more healthy and active is definitely one of the best things to come out of my journey. Also watching my oldest, Dashan really flourish and love himself has been beyond amazing.
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? I actually care what goes into my body. When I was fatter i figured it didn’t matter, I was already huge. But now, if I eat like crap, i feel like crap. So I try to eat real whole foods. And i cook a lot so it’s easy.
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? I workout every day. Even my rest days are active. I can do handstands and cartwheels. I take stairs two at a time. I park far away from stores just to walk, cuz I CAN. 🙂
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- To me this is the most important tip I can give someone.Take your journey moment by moment. Trust the process. Trying to look at this huge picture or how far you have to go was really discouraging for me. I had to celebrate the little victories each day and be proud that I got through another day doing the best i could..
- Look in the mirror every day and tell yourself 3 things that you love about yourself. EVERY DAY.
- Youre going to slip up. Don’t let it defeat you. If you eat a bad meal, dont hate yourself for it or think you’ve already ruined everything so whats the point. Let it go and just start again.
- When you know you’re going out places, pack yourself healthy snacks. Do not give yourself excuses to eat junk. I had to eat way more often to keep my metabolism burning hot and that definitely helped me from binge eating.
- Don’t compare your journey to someone else’s. Youre you. That’s your superpower.