I started at 5 years old. I was overweight to morbidly obese all of my life. Even though I was active, I still gained weight.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE? I could not do the things I wanted to do. I would go to work and go home. I was tired all of the time and felt like I didn’t fit anywhere. I could not buy clothes in stores. It was painful.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY? I seemed to hit my “wall” as I call it after years of not living. I wanted to do more. I was also afraid of the health risks involved.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED? I found a doctor in my network that specialized in weight loss. She had a plan and I followed it.
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS? First month I lost 15 pounds! I lost anywhere from 8-15 pounds a month consistently until I reached my goal.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART? At first, it was difficult to exercise. I also have never liked to cook and did not know the best way to fix healthy meals. I now love to cook and find new ways of making favorite recipes healthy!
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING? I didn’t. I think it was because of how long I was overweight. I was done. There were times that were a little discouraging but it made me want to push harder.
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM? This is one thing I did not hit when I was in weight loss mode. The most I ever stayed the same was about two weeks. I am lucky in that regard. When I did stay the same, I varied my exercise routine and kept pushing through. My body eventually caught up.
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT? 22 months to hit my end goal.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES? All of the time! This was part of my motivation. The way my clothes fit, riding rides at my favorite amusement part that was off limits when I was at my heaviest, buying clothes in the store, doing things like long walks that I could not do before. There were many more things I counted as non-scale victories that kept me going.
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? I eat more meals. I used to eat three times a day. Now I eat five. Much less eating out now than before. I eat more protein, less carbs. I also eat less at meals than I did before.
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? There is no comparison! I did not get much exercise before. Now I am full of energy! I love walking anywhere, especially walking my dog. I have participated in three 5k walk/runs. I do as much as I can to stay active.
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Find motivation everywhere! You can find it if you are looking for it. The way your clothes fit, before and after pictures, sharing your story, doing things you could not do before, etc. All of these can keep you motivated.
- Get a fitness tracker. I have one and it keeps me aware of my activity level. It really helps to know how active you are during the day.
- Enjoy every minute of your journey! Don’t just focus on the end goal. Enjoy what you can do now that you couldn’t do before. It helps to keep you focused.
- Look at this as a life change. This journey will keep going and will just keep getting better. Enjoy your new life!
- Remember your “why”. Whatever reason you decided to start your journey, always remember it. Post pictures of it, write about it, and find ways to remind yourself why you are doing this.