I was back in grade school and instead of using regular activities, I used eating and lounging around to fill any voids in my life. Thus I grew and grew and grew.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE? I hated myself at times, it was so depressing being so big and I really hated it and it totally shot my self esteem to hell. I had no confidence in myself at all.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY? I guess there wasn’t a specific point, but sometime in college, i just got sick of it. I had done some weight work in college so i lost a little bit during my 4 years, but it was after that I hit the working out hard.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED? I started by walking. I graduated college with not much to do so i just walked, and walked, and walked some more. I felt great and I loved seeing how far I could go each day.
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS? I didn’t see physical results right away, but I felt great and that made me want to keep on going. I think it was a few months.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART? The hardest part was keeping the push on to do it. This battle has been going on for my entire life and I am still pushing on today. I will never stop now.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING? The one thing that keeps me going is my old photos. I look at my old photos and shutter. I never want to go back.
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT? I honestly cannot remember how long it took, but it was a couple years at least.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES? Seeing the shrinking waistline and fitting into clothes that I worse in grade school. They were made for fat John in high school and now they fit skinny John at 25 years old.
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? I’ve cut out sweets and really fatty foods. I’ve always added a lot of fruits and vegetables to my repertoire. I also cut out regular iced tea as well as soda (for the most part). I admit that my diet isn’t perfect, but it is way better than it used to be.
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? Oh God, I run now. A lot. I try to run on a daily basis and always keep myself moving. I HATE being inactive. It makes me feel really bad when I have done all day. I do my best to be as active as I can now compared to limited activity when I was younger and bigger.
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Listen to yourself and only yourself. There will always be people who judge you for various reasons and the trick is to shake them off and do what you want to do. Ignore the haters and love yourself.
- Nobody is perfect, if you are dieting and make a “mistake”, there is always a chance the next day to get back on the right track. Never find yourself doomed if you make a mistake.
- Connect. There are plenty of other people in similar spots as you are. Connect to them, talk to them and learn. They can be the best allies you have in the fight.
- Utilize your apps. There are a lot of helpful weight tracking apps that you can use. Personally, I use Runkeeper and MyfitnessPal.
- Remember to believe in yourself. The results may not show right away, I will promise you that they will come along if you work hard. Remember, If you aren’t mentally into weight loss, it will not happen for you.