127 Pounds Lost: Getting Fit Before 40
NAME : Megan
BEFORE WEIGHT : 274
AFTER WEIGHT : 147
POUNDS LOST : 127
WHEN DID YOU START DEVELOPING A WEIGHT PROBLEM?
I started becoming chubby when I was in 2nd grade. Before that I was a very average little girl. I got really heavy around 5th and 6th grade.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE?
I was overweight my whole life. I have spent most of my life feeling inferior and ugly. I went on my first diet at 14 and lost 50 lbs. and I have gained and lost hundreds of pounds over my life. Throughtout most of my life I have hated myself and suffered from social anxiety. I never wanted to go out and it stopped me from enjoying many fun times with friends and family.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
This weight loss journey started two years ago in April 2014. I was looking at old pictures with my husband and as we were flipping through and I saw this picture of a very pretty, happy, thin girl. I asked, “who is that?” My husband looked at me like I was crazy and said, “that is you.” I cried. The picture was from a time 8 years earlier when I had lost a large amount of weight and I truly didn’t even recognize myself. Two days later I went back to Weight Watchers. This time my weight loss is different because I truly understand that this journey is never over. In the past I was always waiting for tge diet to end so I could get back to real life. That is so funny now. I realize this is real life for me and I have to make a choice every day to eat right and move my body!
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?
I went to Weight Watchers and I started with my food. I would work out some in the beginning but I really focused on food.
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS?
I began losing weight the first week (5 or 6 lbs.) I consistently lost 1-2 lbs a week for the first year and a half.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART?
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING?
I have never wanted to give up. There was a time this past September 2015vwhen my weight loss kind of stalled and I reverted to some bad habitspecifically I stopped working out consistently. Fortunately, I kept eating appropriately and going to Weight Watcher meetings so I didn’t gain too much just fluctuated.
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM?
I have hit plateaus and for me that means switching things up…trying new foods, changing the amount or type of exercise I am doing, etc…
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT?
I lost most of my weight in approximately a year and a half but it took me just over two years to reachy goal weight.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES?
Tons!!! I love myself and the skin I am in. I started training myself to run last summer and this year I ran my first half marathon!!!
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
When I was heavier I could eat more than a days calories in one meal. I ofyen skipped breakfast and sometimes lunch then would gorge myself at night! I would eat two burgers, fries, a large drink. Then I would have ice cream and chips. Now I eat lots of fruits and veggies. Short of a quick stop for a breakfast sandwich or a salad I don’t eat at fast food restaurants ever any more. I have learned to eat foods I love but in ways that are more healthy. I skip the bread for sandwiches and eat lettuce wraps or turn them into salads.
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
I workout 6 days a week and I am moving all the time. This was a gradual change. I didn’t really get serious about working out until about a year into this journey and even then it was periods of working out followed by some periods of not working out. For the past 7 months I have been consitently working out 5-6 days a week for at least 60 minutes. It has made a tremendous impact on my body! Before I began losing weight I would come home from work and spend hours watching tv and sitting on the couch.
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Get an activity tracker and start tracking your movement. Try to move more every day and find a friend to compete with.
- Join some sort of group. I have gone to Weight Watcher meetings every week for over two years. I also found my online group which has made a world of difference and pushed me in so many ways.
- Don’t try to change everything at once.
- Make changes you can live with forever. Do what you are willing to do the rest of your life. If you are not willing to eat fay free cheese the rest of your life tgen don’t eat it…eat the real deal and figure out how to make it work for you! If you hate running don’t do it! Find ways to move that you love! I take,all kinds of different classes and find different ways to move my body…I run three days a week.
- Track what goes into your mouth…whether it is points or calories find a way to track what you are eating!! You can not outrun your fork! You cannot make up for bad eating with exercise! I give myself one tracker free day a week but that does not mean I gorge mysrlf. Most of the day is normal and I generally have a large dinner and include dessert. This helps me stay focused the rest of the week!!
Republished by Blog Post Promoter