My weight loss journey: How I lost over 100 pounds!
NAME : Lindsey
BEFORE WEIGHT : 282
AFTER WEIGHT : 172
POUNDS LOST : 110
WHEN DID YOU START DEVELOPING A WEIGHT PROBLEM?
As far back as I can remember. When I was younger I always remember looking at other girls wishing I could be thin like them. I had never been truly happy in my own skin.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE?
Yes, most definitely! I felt limited when I was heavier. I was tired of going to a theme park and being placed in the seat that is made for larger people. I remeber my husband and I were having to buy outdoor chairs for our home and I was having to read the weight limits on them to make sure they wouldn’t break. I was sick of it being the thing that was holding me back from life.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
The start of January 2015 I made up my mind that I was done with the way things were. I finally hit rock bottom. I made a promise to myself that I was going to make a plan and stick to it and not give up. I needed to do that for myself!
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?
I started reading “Eat to Live” by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. A close friend of mine told me she had done this and it really was beneficial for her. It a life change. The first 6 weeks though are a strict vegan diet. No oil, nothing processed, and no sugar. It was definitely tough for me in the beginning. I had several break downs, but I made it through them and I really believe they made my stronger.
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS?
I noticed seeing results 3-4 weeks after I started. My clothes were fitting better and maybe a little looser. I had more energy than I did and started feeling more alive and not loaded down because of all the fatty foods I was eating.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART?
Food would probably the biggest thing. I use to always think about when my next meal was going to be. I really had to change the way my mind worked. Food was starting to consume me and I needed to break it. Next, would be exercise I was definitely not an active person before and I wanted nothing to do with it. I HATED and dreaded it and now I LOVE it!
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING?
No not at all, once I started seeing the weight come off I knew then that nothing was going to stop me I wanted it too bad enough to stop or give up. I was ready to see more and more come off. I having been working toward the end result for 15 months now and I plan to keep going.
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM?
Oh yes! Especially now that I am getting closer to my goal weight. It can get frustrating but I just have to say to myself look how far I have come. As long as I am doing all the right things for my body it will eventually respond and it does!
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT?
Most of the weight I lost was in a 12 month period. It is taking me longer to lose the pounds now but you have to remember it is not always about the scale. I always remind myself of that.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES?
Oh yes! I love being able to wrap a regular sized towel around my entire body with no gaps! I love the feeling of being able to wear jeans of a single digit size. I feel more confident in front my own husband. I always hated being in a bathing suit and now I am also more confident being around others in one. There are so many things I could say. Mainly it is the way I feel in my own body now. I don’t wish I was someone else anymore. I love being ME!
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
Before I believe I was eating fast food for every other meal, tons of processed foods, starches being my whole meal and at every meal, and no portion control. I never really ate veggies or fruits, Now I love veggies and fruits and they make up most of what I put into my body now. I have minimal dairy in my diet. I like to eat whole foods, nothing processed. I love the way it makes me feel!
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
Before I literally did NOTHING at all and if you were to ask to do something I was totally against it. Now I work out 5-6 times a week and I love the way it makes me feel during and after. It part of my way of life now. I couldn’t imagine not having physical activity now. I also have become a runner and I would have NEVER thought that was possible. I have ran several 5k races and I am currently training to run my first half marathon before the end of the year!
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Get a routine! That is the biggest part of it. Once you get a routine in place and stick to it you are golden. It becomes part of life then.
- Drink water!! I believe water has truly aided me in my weight loss and it is essential. I try and drink half my body weight in ounces of water. I have read several articles on how much water you should drink so it is totally your prefrence but this is what has worked for me. It not only keeps you hydrated and your system flushed but it get rid of false hunger.
- Take before and after pictures. I can’t express this enough. You see yourself everyday so take pictures so you can see your own transformation. I have heard serval people getting discouraged because they don’t see their body changing because they don’t remember what they looked like in the beginning. It will definitely help you stay motivated if you do pictures!
- Limit your sodium intake! Sodium can really pack on the pounds due to excessive water weight being retained. It’s also good to limit it in general for your overall health. Start reading the labels on things because the milligrams can really add up quick.
- Hold yourself accountable!! I used Instagram and I also used an app called dietbet (you win money for losing weight). Something you feel like you have to answer to. Also track your food intake and see how much a you are really eating, you might be surprised and look how much your body really needs!
Originally posted 2016-04-25 10:24:57. Republished by Blog Post Promoter