Reversing Diabetes Through Weight Loss
Being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes was the health scare that inspired Shemafly to lose his weight. He has lost 40lbs with only 10lbs left to reach his goal weight. His story is an inspiration to all of us and demonstrates how dramatically we can all improve our health, fitness and enjoyment of life with the right approach and the right attitude.
1. What prompted you to begin this weight loss journey? Did you have an “Aha!” moment?
I went to my Doctor for blood work and the results were very alarming. I had Type 2 diabetes, my cholesterol was out of hand and my confidence level was at an all time low.
2. What other “diets” (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
I have tried exercising and was a yo-yo dieter!
3. Please describe how you reached your weight loss goal. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude? Did you implement any other strategies besides Calorie Count? What was the most important change?
I just got tired of being sick and tired. I took on the Insanity challenge, started to eat right and voila! I currently try to workout at least 5 times a week for an hour.
4. Please describe how Calorie Count was instrumental to your weight loss.
Calorie Count has been very helpful in keeping me honest about my calorie intake. I highly recommend it to anyone trying to lose/maintain a healthy lifestyle.
5. What difficulties did you experience losing weight?
In the past, I couldn’t maintain the weight loss. Mentally, emotionally…I was also a mess due to a divorce. This affects losing weight!
6. How long did it take you to see results? When did you realize that you were a success?
Within a couple of weeks. I was getting into the workout routine and I could feel my energy level going through the roof. I inspire my co-workers and pretty much anyone that knows me; they want to know more about this transformation. I’m kind of their ‘coach’ and that is a great feeling!
7. How do you prevent relapse?
Well now that I am coaching my co-workers and family members: I am accountable for being a role model. I have to stay active and maintain this healthy lifestyle. No more diets.
8. How has your life changed now that you’ve lost weight?
I went back for more blood work and the results are amazing! I reversed diabetes; every single stat has improved. I’m on my way to a clean bill of health! It’s been like a switch inside of me got turned on. I absolutely look forward to each and every day. I can now run after my 2 yr old and not feel like I’m ready to pass out. I feel like I added 10 more years in my life and I’m very grateful.
9. How long have you maintained your current weight?
Three months…I don’t plan on gaining ANY of it back!
10. What tips do you have for other dieters?
- Use Calorie Count – this app truly changed my life. Be honest with YOURSELF.
- Seek therapy – when your mind is right, you’ll see the ‘excess’ weight leaving your body.
- STAY ACTIVE. Enroll in a class, do something!!!
- This is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change -the simple fact that you’ll ENJOY life more should be your motivation.
- Pass it forward!!! You have no idea how many LIVES you can SAVE by sharing your story.