Lifting and weightloss
NAME : Ophelia
BEFORE WEIGHT : 195
AFTER WEIGHT : 142
POUNDS LOST : 53
WHEN DID YOU START DEVELOPING A WEIGHT PROBLEM?
After my second child I started to see my weight go up. My eating habit had changed to eating kids left overs- I cooked more pasta and heavy meals.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE?
Weight affected my self esteem. It affected the type of men I dated- men who wanted me and my choices were limited to low income men who had no other choices. It affected my self talk and the words I would say to myself.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
I’m not quite sure I think one day I just hit the threshold something inside me clicked and I wanted to start working out
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?
I hired a personal trainer I felt if I had someone with me to keep accountable it would help and we started working out 2 days a week
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS?
I started to see results in about 3 weeks to a month but having someone with me to keep me accountable kept me going back before results started showing up
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART?
My challenges have been with me building muscle – my mom has told me it’s okay to stop working out. I’ve had men tell me they wouldn’t date me if I kept getting leaner and more muscular. Mentally I told myself men don’t like muscular women. I have random people on Facebook tell me no one wants a woman who is hard. I get fit shamed and told not to get too big and bulky or I will be alone forever or I look more masculine than feminine
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING?
There were many days when I was in pain from working out and many days when I cried all day because the one thing I have been working for close to 2 years abs were still no where close. There are times when it just didn’t seem worth it. Looking at progress pictures has kept me going and having accountability partners- I get to the gym at a specific time every day and I have made so many friends now that I will get a text asking where I am or someone will say you were late today. Knowing the gym and the people at the gym are friends not enemies really helps you pick up and go just one more day.
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM?
I hit weight loss plateaus all the time even more so as I am getting smaller it seems harder to lose a pound. I focus on other things to make me feel proud of myself. Such as my consistency or the fact that I can do more push ups than I could do a month ago or deadlift heavier and I also look at where I’m lack such as did I do my cardio, what did I eat
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT?
My journey has been going for 1 year and 6 months. I lost most of my weight in the first 8 months my weight has been pretty much in the same 5lb range for the last 9 months
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES?
My non scale victories are discovering my strengths. Someone told me last year I looked like a power lifter and I asked my trainer to start deadlifting since then I can now deadlift 2x my body weight and I can pick up 245lbs 4 or 5 times in a row. My victories are all in the mirror- to wear a size small at 142 is amazing to me, to see muscles on my body is amazing to me. To feel better about myself and my life are all non scale victories. Those non scale victories make me feel better about myself than the scale
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
My daily diet is very different- I live a very bodybuilder diet life now. Veggies and protein and gallon of water. Pizza and pasta and Chinese food have lost their taste, occasional I fall off the wagon but usually I feel it wasn’t worth it for the few minutes of taste to take me away from my goals.
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
When I was heavier I never worked out,I lived a very sedentary lifestyle now I get to the gym at 6:45/7am I do an hour cardio, pull ups, eat breakfast in the gym and then lift for an hour from 8:30-9:30
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Keep going even when you see no results-and go at a specific time always – sometime forming the habit is worth it even when results aren’t coming
- You get fitter in stages- my first leg it took me an hour to do 30 jump squats and 3 sets of lunges- now those are just two in a set of 6 exercises I complete in an hour
- The fit people at the gym don’t hate you or judge you. sometimes I think when we see fit people we think they are judging others who are just starting out. As I am now part of a set of crazy buff people (gym crew) I realize that they used to intimidate me when I was bigger but whenever they see someone starting out the words being said are that’s so awesome they are working on thier goals, sometimes it’s air high 5 however that person may never hear the actual words. Fit people are people say hi and they will say hi right back and welcome you to the fold.
- Make friends- accountability is everything there are times you won’t want to go and that accountably will push you thru the tough times
- Work out in the morning. It’s hard but until you make working out a habit you will make excuses- by evening you’ve spent all day being mean to yourself and tired and kids and you will find excuses not to go. Get it done in the morning and you won’t regret it
Republished by Blog Post Promoter