I Feel Confident in Every Area of My Life!
Wil2211 gained several pounds after moving from one country to another, but most of it is just a memory now, thanks to a combination of calorie counting and exercise. In her story she expresses how learning to eat healthy, balanced meals was the key to her success in losing those 33 undesirable pounds.
1. What prompted you to begin this weight loss journey? Did you have an “Aha!” moment?
I had two “Aha!” moments a year ago. We were on vacation in the Netherlands for Christmas break. We were walking in the Dunes, and I became short of breath and had pain in my chest. Also, I wanted to buy new clothing, and I had to grab two sizes larger! Both events made it very clear to me that I needed to change my attitude.
2. What other “diets” (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
I never ever dieted in my life. It was the change in lifestyle by moving to the US from the Netherlands 6 year ago that caused me to gain several pounds each year. I did not cycle to my work anymore, I went out for dinner more often, and I ate ready-to-go microwave processed food instead of home cooked meals.
3. Please describe how you reached your weight loss goal. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude? Did you implement any other strategies besides Calorie Count? What was the most important change?
I started with logging what I ate normally, and discovered that I did not eat balanced at all, and was eating way too much because I did not exercise. Then I replaced food for more healthy alternatives and started to eat only three meals a day. The moment I lost about 15 pounds I started to add more exercises like walking and swimming about 4 times a week for 30 minutes. My most important change is that I learnt to eat healthy and balanced without being hungry all the time. I do not have cravings for junk food, cookies or sweets anymore.
4. Please describe how Calorie Count was instrumental to your weight loss.
Calorie Count gave me insight in my eating and exercising habits, what my body posture is, how to lose the weight in a healthy way. It enabled me to find a way to change my unhealthy life style. The tools and the daily entries and support of other successful CC-ers helped me to accomplish my weight loss goal.
5. What difficulties did you experience losing weight?
I think the first month was the hardest to get used to the rhythm of logging everything I did. Also some people in the real world tried to distract me from what I was doing.
6. How long did it take you to see results? When did you realize that you were a success?
I saw results right away. I realized this CC website could work for me because I was not hungry although I ate less than before. I reached my goal weight – I lost in total about 15 kg = 33 pounds) in about 4 to 5 months.
7. How do you prevent relapse?
I am still writing down everything I am eating. I am weighing my food every day. I do not eat beef, chicken and pork anymore, only fish, because I simply can eat more (in ounces) by eating healthier protein alternatives.
8. How has your life changed now that you’ve lost weight?
Yes, my life has changed. My oldest son expressed this so nicely “Mom, you not only lost the weight and look great. But your whole attitude has changed; you’re so confident, and you know what other people like people who show that they are confident.” This attitude makes life just easier.
9. How long have you maintained your current weight?
I am maintaining my weight for 6 months now. It fluctuates within a pound more or less though.
10. What tips do you have for other dieters?
- Set realistic goals. Don’t frustrate yourself by having goals that are doomed to failure.
- Log everything every day, especially when you are trying to change your weight. I still have a piece of paper near the scale to write everything down.
- Make it YOUR plan. Read what other CC-ers are doing, but look carefully if it suits your personal needs and agenda.
- Try several exercises if you do not know yet what you really like to do. You need to find something which will be enjoyable so you continue to do it the rest of your life.
- Start experimenting with new, healthy foods. Broaden your horizon in this area.
Originally posted 2014-06-29 11:00:07. Republished by Blog Post Promoter