How Changing My Mindset Helped Me Lose 185 Pounds
Satans_lil_sister has lost 185 pounds thanks largely to a mindset change, new eating habits and incorporating daily exercise. The biggest change for her was her mental attitude. As she states “I went from thinking my size was beyond my control, to refusing to let it be beyond my control”.
1. What prompted you to begin this weight loss journey? Did you have an “Aha!” moment?
The sheer size (pun most definitely intended!) of the task had put me off starting – I thought it was an impossible mountain to climb, and that I was “supposed” to be fat. I finally figured that any loss would be better than none. I didn’t plan it at all.
2. What other “diets” (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
None – I’d always refused to let my weight appear too highly on my mental radar.
3. Please describe how you reached your weight loss goal. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude? Did you implement any other strategies besides Calorie Count? What was the most important change?
I started out not counting calories at all – I simply swapped the pies and crisps for fruit and vegetables, and started eating my evening meal off of a smaller plate. I also made a concerted effort to be more active whilst at home (I was already active at work). The biggest and most important change though, was mental – I went from thinking my size was beyond my control, to refusing to let it be beyond my control.
4. Please describe how Calorie Count was instrumental to your weight loss.
I discovered CC about 8 months into the journey. I firmly believe that having good nutrition has been key to keeping my body comfortable with shedding its “stash” of fat, especially as that “stash” has diminished. When I joined up I thought I had good nutrition – CC showed me where I was wrong. Making sure I get all greens, most days, has also giving me a new focus on food, other than just what it tastes like – it’s as if because I have a visual representation of the good things the food is doing for me, it makes me WANT to make those healthier choices.
5. What difficulties did you experience losing weight?
None, other than the occasional bout of mental fatigue of constantly having to be aware of what I was eating. To combat that I’d have a day off. But then I’d climb straight back on that wagon! I did have to re-educate some of my nearest and dearest; that getting me edible gifts was something I could do without! I asked for cosmetics and toiletries instead!
6. How long did it take you to see results? When did you realize that you were a success?
I only bought a scale once my clothes were falling off (about four months in). I was shocked to find I’d lost 70lbs. I started getting comments at work too, about the same time, though they didn’t become a daily thing until I’d lost about 120lbs.
7. How do you prevent relapse?
By refusing to let yesterdays hiccups dictate what I do today.
8. How has your life changed now that you’ve lost weight?
I’ve gone from being hot all the time to being cold all the time, lol. I sleep a lot less. And I’ve turned into a massive clothes addict! And I finally feel like ME, unhindered and unfettered by a coating of fat!
9. How long have you maintained your current weight?
I only hit my goal weight 3 days ago.
10. What tips do you have for other dieters?
- Never give up.
- Don’t concern yourself with yesterday or tomorrow – today is the only thing you need to worry about.
- Listen to the advice of others, but listen to your body too – no-one knows you better than you do.
- Love yourself – you have to truly believe you are worth the hard work.
- Don’t obsess over the number on the scale – I weigh in daily but I DON’T worry about the ups/downs/lack of changes – I know it’s a non-linear process!
Originally posted 2014-08-11 11:00:26. Republished by Blog Post Promoter