Believing In Myself
By turning her back on fad diets, Lilygirl1970 has lost 65lbs and is nearing her goal weight. She learnt that there is no “magical” answer to weight loss, and that she had to change her eating habits and add exercise in order to succeed.
1. What made you decide to lose weight this time? Did you have an ‘Aha!” moment?
My ‘Aha!’ moment was more of a ‘boo hoo!” moment. I was having a lot of medical issues and after months of waiting to see a specialist, I was told that I would have some blood work done and to come back in 3 months to discuss them. I cried all the way home. I couldn’t live like this, just waiting around to find some answers. After a few days of wallowing in self pity I gave up on waiting for someone to cure me and decided to do what I could for myself… get healthy.
2. What other “diets” (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
I have tried everything!! Diet pills, exercise, supplements, purging, cabbage soup, starvation… you name it, I tried it. I was looking for some magic answer that would take off those pounds while I sat on my butt eating fast food. But the problem is there isn’t any magic answer!
3. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude?
The most important change for me was believing in myself. I used to approach weight loss with a “we’ll see” attitude. This time I believed in me. I knew I could do this if I made a few changes – eat healthy, eat less and exercise more – but I had to believe in my heart that I was worth the effort – no matter how hard it was going to be.
4. How did Calorie Count help you to lose weight?
The wonderful friends I made at CC helped me to believe in myself. When I first started and the weight wouldn’t come off, they urged me on… and the scales started to move. When I was flat on my back with sore muscles, they cheered for me and I got back up. When I was faced with parties and buffets, they gave me tips and I made wise choices. They believed in me every step of the way – and I believed in myself because of them.
5. What was most challenging about losing weight?
I think the first 3 months were the most challenging. This was when I had to re-train myself to live and eat healthy – drink more water, eat more veggies, get out for a walk, stop snacking in the evening, log my food. It seemed like every moment of my life revolved around calories and nutrition. But once the new habits were in place, it wasn’t so hard anymore.
6. How long did it take you to see results?
It took about 2 weeks before I saw any results, but then the weight flew off. 13 pounds in the first month, 8 pounds the next. I lost 65 pounds in a year and have only 20 to go to get to my goal.
7. When did you realize that you were a success?
I first felt successful when I saw some vacation pictures last March. I had lost 35 pounds and it was the first time I actually liked a picture of myself. Since then I have lost another 30 pounds and, even though I have not achieved my goal yet, I know in my heart that I am a success.
8. How do you prevent relapse?
Everyone has relapses. It might be a night out with friends, a holiday celebration or a week-long vacation. You indulge, you enjoy life and you have a wonderful time. The trick is to not feel guilty about it. Just start the next day back on track and living healthy. If the scales have gone up, it doesn’t matter as you are in control and back on track!
9. How has your life changed now that you’ve lost weight?
I have confidence that I have never had before. I smile more; I laugh more; I dress up more. I have learned that life is what you make of it and I have made my life something wonderful by believing in myself.
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
- Believe in yourself. You are worth the effort.
- Know that you are not alone. Every feeling you are experiencing
has been felt by others.
- Accept the gains. They are not failures, just gentle reminders to
get back on track.
- Drink water. Your entire body will thank you.
- Smile. You are beautiful!
Originally posted 2014-07-07 11:00:58. Republished by Blog Post Promoter