85 Pounds Lost: How Diet and Exercise Changed The Game For Me
NAME : Alyssa
BEFORE WEIGHT : 225
AFTER WEIGHT : 140
POUNDS LOST : 85
WHEN DID YOU START DEVELOPING A WEIGHT PROBLEM?
I was always heavy. After I graduated from high school was really when I started to put on the weight without noticing.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE?
I was depressed. I never really felt happy. I was diagnosed with severe hypertension with my blood pressure consistently being 189/109 I had to take two different medications daily to control it.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
I was so unhappy. I was depressed, unhappy with my job, my relationship my self-esteem. I woke up one day and realized I had control. I was the only one who could truly change anything for myself.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?
I started running for ten minutes a day in my neighborhood, daily. It was more a run, walk method to build endurance.
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS?
Within the first two weeks I had lost ten pounds. I was hooked.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART?
I was in a serious relationship at the time who wasn’t a very good support system. We lived together and when I decided to change my habits to healthy ones he wasn’t really on board. He would still want to eat fast food and sweets daily. That was a challenge for me since that was the diet I was used to. I overcame it with great self discipline and keeping my eyes on the prize.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING?
Absolutely. If I had a taste of a French fry I would think, do I really want to give this food up? Is it going to be worth it? Spoiler Alert: its worth it. People noticing my weight loss and my self-esteem going up kept me going.
DID YOU HIT ANY WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM?
I hit a plateau at about 60 pounds lost. I had only been doing cardio for the first year so I decided to join a gym. I then met my current boyfriend who helped me learn the ropes of weight lifting. I started at a size 22, with cardio got to a size 12 and with weight lifting lost another 25 pounds in less than a year and am down to a size 6.
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT?
around 9 months.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES?
Of course. Mine was when I could wrap a bath towel completely around my body. One night I noticed there wasn’t a gap there anymore and the towel was overlapping. It was a crazy and wonderful feeling.
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
Now I stay between 1700-2000 calories per day paying close attention to my protein intake and drinking no soda. Then, It was no big deal to eat fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and drink between 4-5 Pepsis per day. I was taking in between 3500-4000 calories per day.
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
I did no physical activity other than what I was required to do at my job. Now, I work out daily doing a mix of cardio and weightlifting. I like to throw in the occasional yoga as well. I would feel lost without exercise now.
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Calorie Counting App. You will be amazed at what you are actually putting into your body!
- The only bad workout is the one you didn’t do. Even if its a quick 10 job through your neighborhood. Do it. Anything is going to be better than nothing.
- Nutrition Labels. Do some research online to find out what ingredients to steer clear of on nutrition labels. You will be amazed.
- Always ask for help. If you don’t know how to work gym equipment, or what you should be eating. Ask. Gym staff just want to see people succeed. We are judgement free. Everyone in the gym is generally working towards similar goals. We are happy to help with anything you need!
- PROGRESS PHOTOS. I cannot reiterate this enough to my clients. My biggest motivation is looking back at my before photos. You are the only one who has to see them. Take them. You may feel like you aren’t making any progress until you look back and see the smallest change that helps keep you going.
Originally posted 2016-05-26 09:54:24. Republished by Blog Post Promoter