Weight Loss Stories
22 Pounds Lost: “You’re Fat” was the story of my life
NAME : Rachel
BEFORE WEIGHT : 148
AFTER WEIGHT : 126
POUNDS LOST : 22
WHEN DID YOU START DEVELOPING A WEIGHT PROBLEM?
“You’re fat” she said, as she poked my bulging tummy in front of the entire second grade class.
I quickly sucked in my gut and said as I held back tears, “no. I’m not.”
That day my confidence was shattered. I already saw that I was bigger than the other girls, but for someone else to see? Maybe I just wasn’t good enough to freely be myself. Have you ever felt like you just weren’t good enough? From that day on, at age 7, I sucked in my stomach whenever I felt someone looking at me. I held a pillow over my stomach when I sat down on the coach so that people wouldn’t see my belly hanging out of my jeans.
I tried dieting when I was about 10 years old. I became addicted. I dieted and lost weight. Got off the diet and gained weight. Up down up down up down. Finally, about a year and a half ago, I knew I was ready to make health and fitness a lifestyle and not just a passing diet. It was tough. I had to first believe that I could change 27 years of bad habits and the lies I had been believing since I was 7. What if I was good enough? What if I was as good as the other girls? What if I could be healthy and happy?
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE?
I looked at other for women with envy and I looked at myself like I wasn’t good enough. I was tired all the time. Tired because of the lethargy and the lack of energy; tired of feeling not good enough and tired of being self conscious. I didn’t know it then but my chronic headaches were also a side affect from the extra weight and my horrible diet.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
One day in my classroom (I’m a teacher) I had to teach with my sunglasses on. I could feel a migraine coming and there was nothing else I could do to stop it. I had already had a cup of coffee, two large glasses of water and four Advil… But it was coming anyway. Thank god the bell rang. As the classroom emptied so did all my strength. I sank to the floor with unbearable pain. It felt like thunder was ricocheting in my head.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?
That night my mother had to come get me from work and drive me home. I went straight to bed but I did not sleep. The unbearable pain went on for hours. When the day broke and my headache subsided I knew I needed to take better care of myself. I ordered a challenge pack from team beach body and I tried an at home workout called turbo fire.
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS?
The first time I did turbo fire I cried. It was so difficult and I was crying because I felt like I might never make it through the first day. But I did. And soon three days turned into months as I began to become addicted to how amazing working out made me feel.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING?
I wanted to give up many times. There were other days when I cried while working out… I cried when I wanted Diet Coke and my husband refuse to buy it anymore (he was my biggest supporter- even when I didn’t want him to be). I cried when I saw the weight Melting off. And I cried because I wasn’t sure how far I would go or if I would quit.
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT?
I lost a total of 22 pounds in one year. To me that was huge! I took the slow route. I took the small changes at a time route.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES?
I never weigh myself anymore. THATS the non-scale victory. I really don’t care anymore how my weight fluctuates and that is true freedom.
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER?
My diet is so different now! I use to live on diet foods, boxed frozen meals, diet soda, coffee and sugar. I try to eat as many vegetables as I can each day now. I eat a lot of lean meats and for carbs I eat brown rice or yams instead of a pile of chocolate.
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- Believe that you CAN! Whether you believe you can or believe you can’t, you’re right. When you start believing you can go all the way? It makes the journey so much more exciting and rewarding! Suddenly sacrifices are easy to make. See the vision.
- Have multiple, SPECIFIC goals and write them down. Saying “I want to lose weight” isn’t very specific. Have you met your goal if you lose 0.5 pounds? Try writing more specific goals such as, “this year I want to lose 25 pounds. Each month I will lose 3 pounds. This month I will lose 3 pounds.”
- Write goals that have nothing to do with weight! These goals are fun and they help push you forward without as much emotional luggage. For example “I want to shave 1 minute off my mile” or “I want to be able to do 4 sets of ten push-ups”
- Have an accountability partner that IS NOT your best friend. Best friends are awesome for going jogging with; but they might not be the best as pushing you forward in your diet. My best friends and I allow each other to cheat together… And although I love them, I need accountability partners that I’m not as comfortable with. Online is a great way to meet people who can push you!
- Get rid of the “diet” foods. My biggest issue with weight gain and weight loss was that no matter if I was gaining or losing, I wasn’t being kind to my body. I though that diets were suppose to involve lots of “diet” foods (like fat free dressings, diet sodas, diet frozen dinners, sugar free foods etc). But in reality, these foods do more harm than good. Stick to natural foods like raw nuts, eggs cooked in coconut oil, vegetables with butter on tip; meats like turkey, chicken and fish. And allow yourself a cheat meal 1x a week.
Originally posted 2017-01-19 19:21:42. Republished by Blog Post Promoter